What to do when your basement floods
With the rainy season, many states are beginning to suffer from flooding. The presence of water on the underground floors of houses is not necessarily a result of direct flow. The ground level can squeeze out fluid through various slots and even ventilation holes. Over time, within 24-48 hours, filling to floor level is possible. It is necessary to act quickly. Basement flooding is a problem, but it can be fixed. Most homeowners begin to panic, act inconsistently, sometimes with a danger to their own health and life.
What to do if house floods
First of all, you need to stop the panic, and then try to find solutions. My house is flooding, what can I do? Just follow this guide and keep calm. Let’s take a closer look at what to do with flooding in your basement:
- If home flooding is a common problem in your state, you need to exclude the storage of valuables in the basement or use floating sealed plastic containers.
- Basement floods can be dangerously short circuits or breakthroughs on gas lines. It is urgent to de-energize the house and then take further action. It is strictly forbidden to go down to the basement, dive, or try to save things. Human health and life are much more important. Also, do not let other people do this until the mains are de-energized.
If the sump pump broke and the basement is flooded, then only an experienced pump repair professional will help. Typically, companies supply a range of services. They will be able to remove water and repair everything. But it is desirable to block the main routes of fluid intake.
- Cleaning flooded basements isn’t an easy task. If the electrical system hasn’t been flooded, and the amount of water is small, then you can fix it manually. Flooding in the basement isn’t such a big problem as it seems. The amount of water can be very large, up to 200 cubic feet, but you can scoop everything up manually. This will require several people and a large number of buckets. Flood in the basement can be eliminated by conventional irrigation pumps, having previously installed a special mesh that traps the debris.
Try to remove all foreign objects from the flooded floor. They can clog natural sewage openings, obstructions to drainage water. This is one of the most common causes of flooding. And never lay carpet in the basement.
- Water flooded basement is a dangerous place to dive anyway. Try to avoid this until the water level reaches safe values. Most accidents during flood in the basement happen when trying to save a property from the bottom.
- If water flooding in house doesn’t stop, then stopping it will not work until the groundwater inflow stops completely. You can only dump everything with powerful pumps into a centralized collector located on the street. But for this, you need to call the plumbing.
- When the flooding in the basement is over, you need to eliminate all excess water. For this, dry rags are used. Boxes with quicklime will restore moisture levels. The flood in the basement can be dipped with dry rags, hay, or even sand. All this absorbs excess fluid well.
Basement floods can be eliminated by airing, using heaters or heat fans. It will cost some money due to the cost of electricity, but this is really the fastest way to dry everything. Also, infrared heaters directed directly downward are well suited to solve this problem. But it is necessary to provide exits for water vapor, it’s even desirable to create a draft.
- Help with a basement flooding is sure to come in handy. It is necessary to call relatives, neighbors, connect children. Otherwise, it will be extremely difficult to independently overcome such a large-scale problem.
- If basement is flooding through floor drain, use a tight plug with every rain. Its presence should be provided by default. This may also indicate a complex blockage in the storm sewer system. There can be many reasons, but you can’t leave this unattended, otherwise the foundation may be destroyed, a short circuit, and even a fire. My basement is flooding, what can I do? Now you know at least something about it.
Water coming into basement after heavy rain in case of construction errors or defects in old houses. Unfortunately, for some people, this is a reason to change their place of residence. But the reorganization of the foundation and modern construction technologies will fix this in 99% of cases. “Flood in my house” is not a reason for discouragement, it is the beginning of active actions.
How fast the house will be suitable for further residence will depend on the speed of work. If the walls are made of wood or hygroscopic materials, it is necessary to constantly maintain the ventilation mode, it is also advisable to turn on all the heaters. If the walls were saturated with water, then you need to urgently dry them to avoid mold and an unpleasant odor. As practice shows, all procedures for severe flooding usually take up to 10 days, but it is worth it to save an expensive house.
Basement Floods And Rain
Typical reasons for basement leaks are from pressure developed by water in the soil surrounding your foundation. Three different kinds of pressure can cause concerns:
- Persistent rain causes soil saturation, developing hydrostatic pressure (or water pressure). This pressure forces wetness through your basement walls and flooring.
- Loose soil around your structure takes in water. Your rain gutters and downspouts get clogged with rainwater that pools best beside your structure. As this soil expands, it develops lateral (or sideways) pressure against the foundation, triggering leakages and foundation damage.
- If your window well isn’t installed properly, your window well can fill with rainwater which permeates into your basement.
- Wall spots and pooling water on your floor are indications of a leaky basement. Floods trigger difficulty and it’s essential to know what to do if you have basement issues.
Who should I call if the basement is flooded
This is a complex task, too complex for independent execution. You can overcome the problem only if you have the appropriate tool kit. Water flooding in basement can quickly be eliminated by a professional plumber or highly specialized disaster management company. But it’s not enough to remove the water once. This can be repeated over and over. To prevent groundwater from flooding basement, you will need to find a good waterproofing specialist. He will be able to close seams and pores in concrete with the help of special polymer materials, which completely eliminates the repetition of this.
Most people think, “Flooding in my house is an incurable disaster.” But it all depends on the speed of action. The faster the water is removed, the better. For a long trip in the rainy season, be sure to leave the keys to one of the relatives, if possible. For states with constant flooding, it will be advisable to raise a house on screw piles. This is an inexpensive construction operation, but it will completely eliminate this problem. The structural strength of the house doesn’t suffer.