How to Troubleshoot and Fix Ceiling Leaks
Your ceiling starts losing color, the drywall is deforming and water start dripping. The problem is obvious – plumbing leak in ceiling occur because of the irresponsible apartment owners that for a long time have been neglecting immediate need for water damage drywall repair. If you are living on the last floor, you should contact a professional to inspect the roof.
First of all, one should not ignore this problem because it will become worse. It is not only the color of the ceiling – constant water leaking from the ceiling could lead to wall destruction. Mold will form and the air will be full of germs that won’t benefit the health of your family. If you see water droplets falling from the ceiling you should immediately contact a specialist.
How to spot roof Leaks?
Some flats are situated below attics or roofs. Roof could be damaged because of the temperature drops. Water damage dry wall happens because of the tiny holes and cracks and when it rains your ceiling starts deforming because of the water coming straight from the sky. In 99% the problem is in the roofing material because there no plumbing pipes there. Let’s take a look on some typical signs on water leaking from the ceiling because of the roof damage:
- You can see droplets of water oozing from your ceiling after the rain starts. Sometimes it happens after 30-60 minutes but if the problem appears during any rain it is most certainly because of the damaged roof. Water damage to drywall could be substantial.
- The droplets of water contain mud which has been gathered from the roof surface. It will color you water damaged ceiling in brown and dirty colors. These impurities can bring germs and mold into your apartment.
- During winter ice will be formed on the roof but the heating system will slowly melt it. So winter is the worst period for a house owner because it can cause water damaged ceilings.
- If your apartment is situated right below the attic the ceiling could be subjected to moist insulation material. It will absorb water that is dropping from the damaged roof. It is not necessary that damaged area is right below your apartment – insulation material will transport it to your water damaged ceiling.
If there is any sign of water damage because of the damaged roof make sure you contact a specialist as soon as possible to conduct a sheetrock water damage repair.
How to spot a plumbing-related leakage?
How to repair water damaged ceiling? At first, you should recognize this type of leakage which is more popular and the signs are obvious. Usually, leakages take place in bathrooms and kitchens where pipes are usually installed. If the pipes are damaged or have been subjected to corrosion they will slowly fill the floor with water. At first, the water damage is unrecognizable but the time will come when dirty water will burst out. You should conduct a drywall water damage repair. There are two sings of leaks of that type:
- The water from pipes are often is free of impurities like dirt or mud. So you will just see relatively clear droplets falling down the floor.
- The leakage will go steadily in almost equal amounts. If this happens it is definitely water supply system failure.
So the weather does not affect the amount of water anymore. Ceiling water damage repair is required.
Minimizing the damage
If you have chosen to fix this problem by yourself there are plenty of techniques. You should choose one method on the basis of the leak type. Problems with the roof often require instruments and carpentry skills. Dealing with pipes is not recommended because it is better to call a professional plumber that has special instruments and qualification. Water damage in ceiling is a serious problem.
At first, a flat owner should minimize the damage. All you have to do is to make a tiny hole that will cause the water to congregate in one place so it will affect only a small zone. If you get the water quickly, you will be able to get rid of all the water – water damaged dry wall and ceiling will dry out in no time. If you leave the water below ceiling the water damaged ceiling mold will start forming inside wallpapers.
All you need is to follow three simple steps:
- Spread a cloth or a put plastic bowl under the place where you are about to drill.
- Make a hole with a drill.
- Place a small plastic pipe to adjust the flow into the bowl.
Then just wait till all water will flow and figure out how to get rid of the leaks completely.
How to fix a roof leak?
Actually such leaks are relatively easy to fix. Repairing water damaged ceilings could be complex but not in this case. One should get some cement to patch up holes. But sometimes the water damage ceiling repair could be very difficult to solve. In old houses, the whole roof needs to be replaced to avoid water penetration. But let’s take in to account an incident when a leak is local so you can just patch it up in 1-2 hours. You should take the following steps:
- Spot the location of a roof leak. If you have access to the attic just come there and use flashlight to find a place where water is dropping. You can also locate the damaged area from the surface but it is a bit harder.
- DIY or professional services. Small water damage drywall areas can be patched up with a general DIY kit but sometimes you need to hire a professional.
- Patching the area. Just add roofing cement by dabbing it onto the damaged area.
If you have to deal with ice dams it is better to call a professional team.
Plumbing related leaks
Repairing ceiling drywall water damage is not easy because of the complexity of pipes structure. If the leak is directly below the bathtub or a toilet you should locate the exact spot where the water is congregating. Remember that apart from pipes there could be joints and wires. To make sure that this is the right spot, run your shower. Check drain casket, drain tap, faucet valve, and supply pipes. There are also shower, toilet, and pipe leaks that are hidden and can be located only after dismantling the whole system. That is why it is better to contact a professional to deal with this problem.