How To Dry Carpet After Flooding Or Cleaning
Cleanliness in the house is very good. But trying to dry the carpet after cleaning is very problematic. This is the floor covering with the most difficult care requirements. If the owners of the house do not want to engage in high-quality cleaning, then it is better to refuse to use this product in the house.
A soaked carpet is not easy to dry, and if it is exposed to high humidity for a long time, it will begin to rot, spreading an unpleasant odor and mold. The surface may look dry, but several gallons of water will be inside. Water removal from carpet for a person, who doesn’t have special knowledge, turns into a real challenge. Solving this alone is impossible. Wet basement carpet can weigh up to 300-400 pounds or more. Today we will tell you how to overcome this problem.
The most difficult case
We are talking about water in a basement carpet, which is a common problem in states with heavy rainfall. The wrong sequence of actions can lead to stench throughout the house and the danger of mold spilling on the walls and food. Along the way, we describe all cases:
- Water spilled on carpet can be removed instantly. To do this, dab a wet spot with a rag and then place a dry rag under the base. Change it periodically to achieve the desired result.
- To dry carpet after cleaning, you need to place boards or something under it that allows air to pass under the surface, and then turn on the fan heater or regular fan. It will turn out to dry the surface very quickly. To dry wet carpet you must first reduce its weight. Otherwise, you can’t take it to the front yard.
- Dry carpet after cleaning only in hot weather. Direct sunlight can do the work from morning to evening. Leave a carpet product overnight to permanently weather moisture.
- Vacuuming wet carpet is only possible with a washing vacuum cleaner. Other household appliances adapted for dry cleaning may break due to a short circuit. You can also try vacuuming water directly on site. This should help at maximum power. You need to clean the container as often as possible, because a huge amount of debris will come to the surface. This applies especially to old carpets made of natural pile. Try to finish the surface with a brush. This procedure can be done every 2-3 years.
- Carpet cleaning after flood can completely return to its original appearance.
- Remove water from carpet as quickly as possible, otherwise, a stench that is so stable may appear that you have to throw everything away. Don’t try to use aromatic additives, otherwise it can only worsen the situation. You can use flavorings only after weathering unpleasant odors. If mold has appeared, then specialized fungicidal sprays can be used.
- Dry carpet after cleaning should be laid only on a dry surface, otherwise all troubles will be repeated again. And try to do everything possible so that it doesn’t happen again. To reduce water damage, carpet cleaning tips should come in handy. Depending on the situation, you can modify them to your own needs. It’s advisable to perform drying carpet after flooding with helpers; solving it yourself is very difficult, unless you have a large supply of physical strength.
- To hang the carpet, you can use clothesline to dry clothes, upright logs or wooden supports, use a children’s swing or a bench for this. Your main task is to flatten everything in one layer to provide air flow and sunlight. You can even lay out the carpet on the lawn by placing any objects under it. But do not forget to turn off the watering, otherwise everything will have to start all over again.
- If you aren’t able to overcome this problem, then contact the professionals. They can clean the rotten water from the inside with the help of specialized chemicals and high pressure washers. You can also use these devices if they are in your possession.
How long for carpet to dry
How long for carpet to dry directly depends on the length of the pile and the amount of water absorbed. The process is also affected by air exchange and ambient temperature. Wet carpets dry out most quickly in hot weather under direct sunlight. This usually takes from 12 to 72 hours.
Flooded basement carpet can be left on the street for a longer period so that all odors are completely weathered. Ultraviolet kills all accumulated bacteria well. This is the fastest way to dry wet carpet, tidy it up. When the product is on stretch marks, you can do it dry cleaning, knocking out dust, scrubbing hair with a stiff brush, using an ordinary vacuum cleaner. Combing must be done against the direction of the pile in order to increase softness and renew color. If you follow these rules, your flooded carpet will return to its original appearance. In order not to lose time and energy in vain, you can tidy up all the flooring in the house.
How to remove wet carpets smell
This is the most difficult part of the task, without special knowledge this is impossible. The easiest way is to move flooded carpet to a professional dry cleaning service. Special chemical reagents will bind odor particles, removing them from the depths of the thread structure. There are also powdered and liquid substances to solve the problem at home, but for effectiveness, you’ll have to try hard. Wet carpets smell, especially if it has lain long enough, you have to dispose in several stages, saturating the surface with active reagents. A small amount of odor will still remain, so only long-term ventilation in the open will help.
Products made of wool weather much longer than synthetic analogs. Wet carpets smell, provided light residual notes, can be replaced with a regular air freshener, dissolving it in warm water.